Tags and awards
are a lot of fun!
Have you ever wanted
to create your own?
In this post,
I’ll teach you how!
Hello guys! I’m so glad you’re here! I’m Maggie with the LTBL team.
One thing I really like doing from time to time on my blog is making a new tag, award, or challenge! It helps strengthens the blogosphere community when we have new, awesome things to participate in 🤩
At the beginning of this month, I shared a post on Maggie’s Doodles about the tags/awards I’ve created (so far)! If you wanna check that out, click here 😊
I can’t wait to share my tips with you! I’d love to see new tags/awards you guys come up with 👍
How to Create a
New Blog Tag/Award
Step One: Make a Plan
All great things start with a plan! (well most do haha)
Here are some questions you can answer to get you going!
- Do I want to make a tag, challenge, or award?
- What do I want to call it? Here are some ideas! (feel free to create a variation of any of these, you can credit me for the inspo hehe)
- the summer blogging challenge
- happy blogger award
- the funny blogger award
- the yummy tag (favorite foods)
- writing inspiration tag
- penguins are awesome challenge
- speed drawing art challenge
- my favorite things tag
- learn about the blogger tag
- musical favorites award
- kindness tag
- bookish inspiration tag
- Is it topic-focused (i.e. ‘the epic writer award’ with questions about writing), or nominee-focused (i.e. ‘the creative blogger tag’ celebrating creativity with questions on any topic)?
- Will the questions always be the same, or does each participant give new questions?
- Why will other bloggers be excited to participate? (i.e. having fun questions to answer, an interesting challenge to complete, feeling honored to be tagged and included in a special award, etc)
- Who is my target audience? (e.g. blogging friends, bloggers from a certain niche, people interested in a certain topic, etc)
Step Two: Write the Rules
Making rules/guidelines for an award helps participants know what to do. You can share a couple rules (i.e. thank your nominator, answer the questions, and tag 5 people), or a lot of rules! Below are rules I commonly see on awards that you can include or customize for yours:
- Thank the person who nominated you
- Link back to the original post/award creator
- Tag your post ‘thetagname’ in the Reader
- Share the badge/logo for the award in your post
- Include the rules list in your post
- Answer the questions
- Do a challenge (i.e. share recent artwork, 5 facts about yourself, etc. related to the award)
- Share instructions for any requirements
- Add your own questions
- Pass on the old questions
- Tag this many people
- Leave an open nomination
- Make new questions for your nominees
- Let your nominees know (through comment or pingback) that you tagged them
Step Three: Create the Award
Here’s an example checklist of things you can do!:
- Make a badge/logo for the award you feel really represents your vision for the award
- Share the post on a day you think your followers are most likely to see it (e.g. the time of day/day of the week more people are online)
- This part’s up to you, but doing the award yourself in the announcement and creation post helps to get it in motion!
Step Four: Spread the Word!
By tagging people to do it (and providing an open nomination), you’ll encourage others to pass it on to bloggers they know!
You could also write about the award again months later to remind people about it 😊
I also love commenting on my friends’ posts when they do my new award, or they’ve participated in someone else’s!
Thanks so much for reading! Let me know if you have any further questions, or additional info I can add to this post. Love you guys! 💙
Have you ever created a blog tag or award? Which blog award/s are your favorite? We’d love to hear from you!
Maggie @ maggie’s doodles is a 21 year old girl who loves to sing, laugh, dance, and blog. She’s been blogging since 2010 and enjoys sharing what she’s learned with others!