Hi guys! Welcome back to Living the Blogging Life 😄💙 I’m Maggie! Today I’ll be writing about about blog parties. (Thanks to Miriam for this post request!)
I’ve written this post in a question and answer format to provide you with the most straightforward advice!
So, what is a blog party?
A blog party is a virtual celebration hosted by a blogger!
How do you join/participate in a blog party?
Typically through the comments of the blog party post!
What’s the purpose of a blog party?
It can be to celebrate a milestone (blogging- or life-related), to bring other bloggers together, or to support/raise awareness about a project or cause! It can also be a combination of all these purposes 😊
How do you host a blog party?
Through a post on your blog! You can either give your readers a heads-up about when the party will take place so they will be sure to come, or you can share the blog party post whenever you’re ready and people will come as well.
You can include rules/guidelines (i.e. introduce yourselves in the comments, the party will start at this time and finish at this time, include some questions for party goers to answer, etc). You can also invite others to reblog the party post to spread the word about the fun!
It’s always a good idea to be regularly monitoring the party while it’s going on. I recommend doing this because…
- some comments that are not spam will end up in the spam folder (usually when someone shares a link to their blog). So you have to fish those out so that they can attend your party!
- some partyers might be unkind to each other. Depending on the rules you’ve outlined, it’s your job to uphold that code of conduct by monitoring comments!
- some party-goers might in other ways break rules. So just watch the comments and make sure everyone’s being nice and making the party a fun occasion
How do you attend a blog party?
By reading the rules outlined in the party post, then joining the comment section! Typically everyone is invited to introduce themselves, provide a link to their blog, and share a bit about themselves. It’s also fun and usually encouraged for you to reach out to other people at the party! You can visit their blogs, or chat with them in the comments on the party post.
How long does a blog party last?
For as long as the party host has determined! It could last for a day, a week, or it could be an ongoing party. Usually the party ends when the host closes comments on that post, which then leaves all existing comments but makes any further discussion on the post unavailable.
How can you make a blog party fun?
By providing an objective and a celebratory atmosphere! In the party post itself, you can share pics of yummy food, links to songs and music people can listen to at the party, etc. As for objectives, you can…
- challenge party-goers to write a certain post on their blog! (i.e. if it’s a ‘celebration of art blog party,’ you might invite commenters to share a post on their blogs showcasing their best artwork!)
- encourage commenters to interact with everyone by visiting their blogs
- invite them to compliment their fellow party-goers (one time I did a ‘kindness blog party’ and it really made everyone’s day!)
How can I host a blog party without stealing someone else’s idea?
Simply give credit where credit’s due! If you’ve been inspired to host a blog party because you saw a friend do one, you can mention their name in your party post and thank them for the inspiration. If you’d like to host a specific blog party on your blog that someone else has done (like how I gave the ‘kindness’ and ‘celebration of art’ blog party ideas), you can give credit for those ideas as well. It’s only stealing if you act like you came up with it.
Thank you sooo much for reading! I hope you found this post helpful today, and let me know in the comments if you have any other questions (about blog parties or blogging in general)! I’ll see you again soon 😊
Have you ever hosted/attended a blog party? Do you have any fun virtual party ideas? We’d love to hear from you!
Maggie @ maggie’s doodles is a 21 year old girl who loves to sing, laugh, dance, and blog. She’s been blogging since 2010 and enjoys sharing what she’s learned with others!